Too delicate

 

I bought this needlepoint for $4 thinking I'd use it to create a pillow. Three very gentle washes later, laying flat in soapy water for 5 minutes stretches, the accumulated dirt was removed. Lovely colors were revealed but with the dirt gone, the delicate nature of the fabric and needlepoint convinced me the piece will be for display only.  I think I'll frame it under glass. It's too delicate to stretch across a canvas. I think a glass on top will keep it in place without having to tack it. I'm left wondering how much of the unstitched border should be trimmed. The holes where it was tacked or nailed seem unnecessary. But the holes also give a hint to its former use. 


UPDATE: Well, the frames are very expensive at the 16 x 20 and larger sizes. $25-$50 at the low end. Even at the thrift stores, it is difficult to find one at a good price. I settled on one for under $6 mainly because it came with a mat option. I got some great advice to use tacks to mount it. But the lack of uniform edging, the fabric quality, the damage, the delicate nature of the piece meant that a flat mounting was the best I could hope for. The jagged edges torn and uneven factored in. I used foam board and gently tacked (6qty) the fabric on so as to straighten the fabric. This held it in place enough to allow the mat to be placed. Then the glass was used to secure it. I'll live with it for a while and see how I like it. 

NEW PHOTO: I took the picture off the wall and photographed it in the evening light. Despite the shadow of the camera and a porch post reflected on the mat, this is about as good of a photo I can manage with the needlepoint under glass.


Popular Posts