Chocolate Orange Scones


Scones with Lindt Dark Chocolate with Orange and Almonds.

This one is a keeper. That's not to say I won't try some variations in the future. 
The recipe is nearly the same as my recipe for Blueberry Scones. 

The changes are as follows:
Replace the 1 cup blueberries with chopped chocolate bars. I used 1 bar plus 2 squares from a second bar to get one cup of chocolate. I cut them large allowing 6 pieces per square.

I replaced the 1 1/2 tsp vanilla with 1/2 tsp orange extract plus 1 tsp vanilla.
**I think the next time I try this I will eliminate the 1/2 tsp orange extract and replace with orange rind from a 1/2 small mandarin orange. I will return to the 1 1/2  tsp vanilla. The orange rind will be added into the chilled flour mixture prior to adding the liquids. 

Another addition was 1 finely grated frozen square of chocolate in the flour mixture.

Every thing else was the same as the original recipe.

Since I began making the scones, I have skipped the milk wash at the end. Instead, I turn out the wet dough onto a dinner plate with a light dusting of flour and a generous layer of Turbinado sugar / raw sugar. After shaping the dough into a circle, I sprinkle more Turbinado sugar across the top. 


 

Popular Posts