My cozy living room

10/23: Since this was posted in August, 2021, I've made a lot of changes. I have updated this post at the bottom with links based on dates to show the progression of how the room has changed.

Here's a small sample of the changes in the living room:

This shelf has become an ever changing display as new things rotate through.
Seasonal display on the entry table including one plant (SSE  corner) headed to my daughter's new home.

Fig Leaves in a Townley vase reproduction.
Audubon prints and green McCoy pottery. These have since left the living room and moved into the master suite. Part of the joy of decorating is shopping your home and creating new vignettes.

February 02/24 UPDATES: The white shelves are gone at long last!
Finding the shelves
Placing the shelves
Adding the glass doors to the shelves
Decor Stage One
FINAL 2024 Cozy Living Room Update shown below


Here's the original post of the living room in 08/21:



I'm enjoying it more these days now that Lance has returned to driving!

That rare, short time of day when the light pours in. Mostly, it's a dark room.


UPDATES since August 2021
10/21 The entry table is changed out seasonally.
05/22 The bar is changed so that Shakespeare can serve.
06/22 The coffee table has new decor.
07/22 I received two lamps from my MIL: A blue and white and a dragon lamp
08/22 Hats, canes, and umbrellas make their debut at the entry table
08/22 A new table next to the sofa prompts more changes at the entry
08/22 A new rug for the front door entry
08/22 Another view of the entry table mirror. This time it reflects the room.
08/22 Views of the room 
Yes, a lot was going on at this time. My daughter had a job transfer that had her living with us for 4 months as she relocated in 8/22. Her household of things temporarily joined our household for that time. With her departure, it was time to celebrate decorate.
08/22 That corner redone a bit.
08/22 The bar redone
09/22 Seasonal change to the coffee table
10/22 A small curio shelf I redid was added to the wall
10/22 Reflections on improvements and goals
10/22 A no sew end tablecloth injects new color and covers clutter
11/22 A review of all the changes over the past year
11/22 Another reflection of past and future projects in the living room
03/23 Displays change. New acquisitions. 
04/23 Red curtains gone. Blue and white curtains in.
04/23 Never enough unique pillows
04/23 Collection on a side table 
05/23 The curio shelf is great!
05/23 New art for the living room

I continue to swap out coffee table books, seasonal plants and fabrics, and pillows. This room is changing in small ways now because I am pleased at how it has evolved over the years. 

However, I'd still like to paint-- some day. 

I definitely want to swap out the shelves to glass fronted cabinets like those in my dining room and bedroom. I also want units with doors underneath to hold oversized books and collections. Finding and moving large furniture is getting more difficult in this economy and at our age.

We are always looking for better and bigger and more rugs. We love layering rugs!

I hate shoes inside but just slightly more than shoes collecting next to the door. To that end, I'd like replace the entry table with a closed door shelf unit so shoes can be hidden away. Of course, I still want a good sized surface on top of that unit ideally. And the enormous mirror would go over it like it does with the table now. 

A home is constantly in transition. Things are moved from room to room. Gifts given and received. Treasures found. For me, my ever changing home is a way for me to express myself.  I love that it reflects our family, our interests, our history, and our artistic endeavours. I love our home.

This shelf has become an ever changing display as new things rotate through.

Seasonal display on the entry table including one plant (SSE  corner) headed to my daughter's new home.

Fig Leaves in a Townley vase reproduction.

Audubon prints and green McCoy pottery. These have since left the living room and moved into the master suite. Part of the joy of decorating is shopping your home and creating new vignettes.

Popular Posts