Why I photograph as I design


I got new pillows the other day. I had wanted the pillows I saw a couple of weeks ago but they were $38 EACH! No way. I'd found the same fabric at $42 a yard and wouldn't buy it due to the price. Handsewn by a local businesswoman, with feather filling, a great hidden zipper, and trimmed edges, they were beautiful 20 x 20 inch pillows. But they were $38 EACH! 

I wanted to replace some old $2 thrift store pillows which worked for years but I wanted to change things up. They are seen on the couch below to either side of the dragonfly pillow. 

FYI: The dragonfly pillow was a gift from a co-worker who just gave me the pillow when I said how beautiful it was. Funny, gifts. That's how this got the ball rolling on my latest DIY. My daughter commented on how she really liked the softness of another pillow I owned. I sent it home with her leaving an empty spot on my library couch. So I was also looking for a replacement for that one when I found two blue and white pillows I really liked. And that started a cascade of pillow swaps and the picture at the top has started a new DIY project. Look closely...
Those books! Under the left side table! I was using a scarf as a table cloth and at most angles, and without a flash, I had not noticed the books sticking out like a sore thumb.

When I design, or clean, or just create art, I use my camera to assess the project. 

Paintings reveal the most to my camera. Colors that don't blend or just don't work. Flat tones. Contrast and perspective issues. 

When I clean, a photo reveals dust with the flash on. It also focuses the eye on the layout and the placement in the room. How many times have I seen flecks of lint on rugs or rugs bunching up? When organizing I seek to make things (1) work, (2) neat, and (3) nice to look at. Create a pleasing scene and it makes it more desirable to keep the space organized and neat. Photographing disorganization is a great way to get you moving and fix the space. Photographing the before and after is down right inspirational for starting the next project.

As for design, glaring flaws like these books stick out. But photos also focus the eye on the scene as a vignette. Further it allows an overarching view of the space and all the scenes within. 

Next: Changing that table to hide the books.

BTW: The new blue and white pillows were $3 each with feather pillow inserts and trimmed with hidden zippers. Saved $35 each over those $38 pillows.  AND they are my favorite color combo of blue and white!

Popular Posts