Wreath Making

 It started with a $5 thrift store wreath.

It's a very large wreath. Inside it is a 4 candle wood dough bowl. The GA Peach scent is WAY too much--as are most scented candles!

Despite the wreath being way larger than those I usually use, the ornaments attached, the apples and berry branches, made the $5 price a steal. 
I considered using the décor on the smaller wreath (inset), one that is the usual size. In the end, I want to try something new.

I began by gathering my supplies to weigh my options.
I have until dinner to decide which supplies I'll use.
The orange thistle from two weeks ago has now dried. Its orange color will provide one option for color direction.

THE ORANGE OPTION
Using acorn and paper flowers with the thistle, I started with an orange theme.
Bringing in a little black stripe adds a geometric element with the bold lines. But the black with orange brings on other thoughts...
The obvious addition of a skeleton for a Halloween theme. The green of the thistle bud could be accented with moss. Some pinkish orange flowers would then balance the overall color scheme.

THE NEUTRAL OPTION
One of the things that drew me to the wreath initially was the neutral, natural aspects.
With my assortment of supplies, it wouldn't be hard to add a paper flower, a pod, a pinecone.
I have burlap based ribbons and darker flowers to add.

THEN THERE'S THE RED OPTION
With or without the red ribbon, the berries seem the perfect balance of natural and color. The addition of these red berries has keep the simplicity I was drawn to and added just a hint of brightness and cheer. Opting for the red means I can keep the wreath up until it's time to bring out the celebratory New Year wreath, in all its golden opulence.
I'll post the end result later. I'll lay out the basics now. Later I'll have to put up the containers of supplies then start the evening meal.

Popular Posts