Bacchanalian Delights

 

Lifting the glasses. Draped togas. Grapes and grape leaves. Amphorae. 

A Greco-Roman inspired Bacchanalian Orgy Feast vase found at a thrift store covered in gold spray paint. It was a hideous, tacky, thick gold coating, nearly obscuring the scene. At thrift store prices, I thought I'd try my hand at improving it. The gold paint left me no choice but a primer plus spray paint coat of a stone finish. The spray paint cost more than the vase! After drying, I dragged a slightly damp sponge with paint in earth tones across it to highlight some of the shadows and lines. It's an improvement that I can live with for now. 

When I went online to trace the vase only one match came back from a sale site.

"This is a vintage chalkware urn or vase depicting a Bacchanalia Festival in the Greco Roman orgy style. The Roman god Bacchus was the god of wine, intoxication and ecstasy, while Dionysus was the Greek equivalent. The vase has multiple small chips and two damaged hands. There are no cracks. The vase is chalkware and is painted with a soft color scheme mostly of brown, gold, green and beige. As you look at the vase you will see that is covered with people enjoying the festival. This is not an R rated vase, but probably somewhere between G and PG. Very unusual and definitely interesting.
Height: 11'
Diameter: 5.5"
Weight: 3.5 pounds"

Vintage Chalkware Bacchanalia Festival Greco Roman Orgy Style
I don't think I'll ever attempt to paint it in a similar manner.



Popular Posts