Kill Count

Today I came across the phrase Kill Count and was thoroughly amused. Perhaps it's because I'm not a commercial TV watcher and I've never been into Soap Operas or their near equivalent, Reality TV. But the idea of a sub-heading for a character which lists the Kill Count made me laugh aloud. That giggle was followed by a guffaw when I saw a pop-up appear on the page requesting no spoilers be posted on the Wiki.

So how did I find this page if I'm not a TV fan? I was reading a BBC article discussing LGBTQI representation on TV. Specific characters were discussed and I was curious about one of the actors and the role mentioned. I had no idea about the reference in context so I googled the character and was taken to this Wiki. Several clicks later, I discovered that the Kill Count is a descriptor on nearly every character's profile. The descriptions of the absurd murder attempts were enough to leave me tickled. 

As laughable as it all is, I can't help but think how these shows have normalized such absurd behavior that we are left with reality show Presidents in the US and Nigel Farage in the UK. Every country has their own fools killing morality, decency, and common sense whilst emoting on the public stage, embracing the role of villian, and adding numbers to their fan base. The more absurd, the more obscene, the more salacious, the more corrupt, the more crude and crass, the more the public clamors for these fools. 

Our TV characters have come to life and we are all relegated to endless series of escalating nonsense and absurdity. While we sit by idly watching the show, the dinner burns, the children go unwatched, and house is never tidied. The planet burns, our children are killed in their classrooms, and infrastructure and governance falls into disarray. But as long as we have our bread and circuses, the masses are amused. Our kill count rises: the environment, personal liberties, common decency, and so many unintended consequences and deaths.

Popular Posts