Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies

Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies: The moistest, darkest brownies

A fourth of the pan was missing by the time I tried them.
Apparently 20-something y.o. guys like them too

Found this recipe over at the NYT Cooking Page. While the ingredients are the same, I modified the instructions because I lost some of that delicious chocolate when I transferred it from the stove top. So I recommend just melt the butter then add it to the mixing bowl. I also changed the sequence a little but it's the same recipe, just easier IMO.

If I'd found this recipe while single I would eaten it every day and twice when suffering PMS. It is a near gooey result which is a teen and 20-somethings dream brownie for every girl out there. Hell, I was born in the 1960s and now postmenopausal I went gaga for these.

There is nothing to make the brownies rise so they are compact and dense which adds to the chocolateness. Wow, auto spell didn't correct that word! Wait, I meant that to read chocolate-tee-ness. Definitely a left over little-girl word. But that's the decadent pleasure in these brownies. All I need now is one of those Chef Boyardee Pizza-In-A-Box meals (before they ruined the sauce) and I would be living the teen girl dream!

INGREDIENTS

½ cup butter (1 stick which is 8 tbsp)

½ cup cocoa

1 teaspoon vanilla

Pinch of salt

2 eggs

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup flour

1 cup chopped or broken-up walnuts or pecans


PREP

Preheat oven to 325F

Line 8x8 square glass pan with parchment paper


INSTRUCTIONS

Melt ½ cup butter (1 stick) in a saucepan.

Pour into a mixing bowl.

Add in ½ cup cocoa and 

1 teaspoon vanilla and a

Pinch of salt.

Mix well.

Let cool about 5 minutes then

Whisk together 2 eggs then

Whisk the eggs into the cocoa butter mix.


In a separate bowl mix together

1 cup of granulated sugar and

1/4 cup AP Flour


Add dry mix to the cocoa butter mix and 

mix well.


Stir in the nuts.


Pour into the parchment lined 8x8 square glass pan and

BAKE 33 minutes at 325F.


Allow to cool slightly. I removed the brownies by grasping the overhanging parchment paper and sliding it onto a cooling rack.

The NYT site says it makes 12 servings. Get real! More like 6 or 4 or 1 during PMS. Don't get between a woman and chocolate during PMS  ever. You have been warned.

One must balance out the inner child. Tonight's meal included roasted carrots with olive oil and a dash of kosher salt. Balance. It's all about balance.


Popular Posts