Reframe it

 

The reframed art in its $2.92 thrift store frame.

I had this art I bought for $1.91 from Goodwill. 
Originally I placed the picture in my laundry room. When I redecorated my laundry room, it was moved into the library. I wanted to change the frame to better suit the vignette I had created there.

I had previously bought a great frame with hideous art for $2.92 from Goodwill.

Hideous thrift store art that had a great frame


I removed the art then separated the inset framing (below right) to allow room for the orchid picture. This was stapled into the other frame (main gold frame at left) that I wanted to use. I lifted each staple using a narrow flathead screw driver. Then I used needle nose pliers to slip beneath the staple head. I twisted and pulled until the staples were removed from the outside frame. 

The next thing I tackled was the framed art I wanted to use. I gently lifted the wall hook out and set aside to reuse. The back of the picture was faced with brown paper easy to remove with the edge of a small flathead screw driver.
The picture was one of a series with details about the plant on the back. Later I attached this to the back of the reframed picture. Using a small flathead screw driver and needle nose pliers, I lifted the frame mounting metal slips (push points) then pulled them out with the pliers. Those which were difficult to remove I bent back enough to remove the art.



The art was removed and reset into the new frame. 

Using a cardboard wedge with a slit cut into it, I was able to hold the tiny nails needed to remount the hanging hardware onto the new frame. The nails are less than a quarter inch high and hard to handle. By slipping the nail head into the slit, it is held in place as you set the nail in. Gently tap in. Slide the cardboard away and finish setting the nail. Always do this before placing the glass in the frame.
An easy way to hold a small nail in place

Next the glass is added, then the mounted artwork, then the backing board. All of this was salvaged from the other framing. Using heavy duty tape, I secured this to the frame. Duct tape will also work. I find tape easier to use than the push points or staples. Done and done.
I also reframed this mirror over the weekend. The previous mirror was a $5 clearance item from Wally World. I'd used it for years but when I came across a $3 gold frame from The Project Safe Thrift Store, I struck, well, I struck gold. It's a nice addition for my bedside vanity table.





Popular Posts